Each visit to Newhaven Fort offers something new and exciting for all the family. If you are planning your first visit to Newhaven Fort, here are 10 suggestions of activities to include as part of your day out:
1. Stroll along the ramparts and be wowed by the breath-taking panoramic, coastal views of the South Downs and Seaford Bay (remember that well behaved dogs are also welcome on a lead).
2. Sit in our recreated air-raid shelter and experience how it would have felt being caught in a real air-raid (although the comforting narration reminds everyone that, on this occasion, it’s completely safe!). Air raids are run on the hour between 12.00pm and 4.00pm.
3. Go on your own personal journey of discovery around the different elements of the Fort – what is behind each casemate door? How did the soldiers get fresh water, considering the Fort is surrounded by sea water?
4. Why not have your picture taken beside the huge guns on-site and discover the name of each one.
5. Uncover the story of how the Fort was built into the cliff under the instruction of a 22-year-old lieutenant and observe the remarkable military design concepts he used.
6. Enjoy a sense of freedom in the 10-acre site and cherish the fresh air and good exercise that are sure to blow away any cobwebs!
7. Relax and soak up the atmosphere as the under 12’s play in the outdoor adventure playground.
8. Take afternoon tea in the Fort Teas Tea Room with the biggest, naughtiest cake you can eat. Perhaps ask for a take away and enjoy a mini picnic on the grassy clifftop.
9. Mooch through the range of goodies in the gift shop, from pocket-money-priced souvenirs to do-it-yourself models and wartime poetry and recipe books.
10. Why not combine your visit with one of our special events? See our What’s On page for further details. From open-air cinema and children’s workshops to military re-enactments and quiz trails, there is something for all the family.