Cloaked in mystery and protected by its impressive ramparts, Newhaven Fort has been keeping secrets safely hidden for almost 150 years. We’re opening our doors for the 2019 season on Saturday 16th February 2019, just in time for the half term holidays!
Discover the story of our Victorian Fortress and what life was like in two world wars through an array of interactive exhibits and showcases housing hundreds of genuine military artefacts:
- Feel history come alive by immersing yourself into our exhilarating Blitz Bomb Shelter experience. See and hear what it was really like to experience the London Blitz during the Second World War. Listen out for anti-aircraft gun fire and bombs dropping and make sure to follow the advice of the Air Raid Warden!
- Travel back in time to discover the thousand-year defensive history of the Castle Hill site, on which the Fort is built. Through a collection of fascinating objects, tools and artefacts you’ll be able to dig into Sussex’s amazing ancient history and uncover the truth behind Newhaven’s lost Iron age fort.
- Imagine you’re on the lookout by climbing to the top of the ramparts to take in the stunning coastal views. Make sure to spot the beautiful South Downs during your loop around the Fort! Can you count how many clifftop gun emplacements we have?
- Feeling brave? Descend into the twisting tunnels of the Eastern Magazine and keep an eye out for any paranormal guests… Once you climb back up why not ask a member of staff if they’ve ever had a ghostly encounter? There are many tales of phantom footsteps and eerie presences at the Fort!
- Try on a First World War helmet and hold a hand grenade at the handling table or delve into the dressing up box and take a selfie! Make sure you share pictures from your day with us on our social media channels!
- If they’re still full of energy, they can run, climb and swing their way around the activity playground.
- After taking in the sights enjoy a warm welcome and well-earned break with a hot drink in the vintage 1940s Tea Room, filled with patriotic wartime memorabilia and a delicious selection of locally sourced drinks and food.
- Featuring work from local artists and unique collectible items, round off the day by taking a look at our selection of quirky gifts and souvenirs in our shop. There’s plenty of pocket money items for the little ones too!
With so much to see and do at Newhaven Fort, explore something new this February half term. Well behaved dogs on leads are welcome, so bring them along for the fun!
From 16th February, Newhaven Fort will be open daily from 10:00am – 5:00pm. Last admission is at 4:00pm. Take a look at our entry prices.