A Day at Newhaven Fort
Each visit to Newhaven Fort offers something new and exciting for all the family. If you are planning your first visit to Newhaven Fort, here are a few suggestions of activities to include as part of your day out:
- Stroll along the ramparts and be wowed by the breathtaking panoramic, coastal South Downs and Seaford Bay (remember that well behaved dogs are also welcome on a lead)
- Sit in our recreated Blitz street shelter simulation and experience how it would have felt being caught in a real air- raid (although the comforting narration reminds everyone that, on this occasion, it’s completely safe!)
- Go on your own personal discovery of the different elements of the fort – what is behind each casemate door? How did the soldiers get fresh water, considering the Fort is surrounded by sea water?
- Why not have your picture taken beside the huge guns on-site and discover the name of each one
- Uncover the story of how the Fort was built into the cliff under the instruction of a 22-year-old lieutenant and observe the remarkable military design concepts he used
- Enjoy a sense of freedom in the 10-acre site and cherish the fresh air and good exercise that are sure to blow away any cobwebs!
- Relax and soak up the atmosphere as the under 12s play in the outdoor adventure playground
- Take afternoon tea in the Searchlight Café with the biggest, naughtiest cake you can eat. Perhaps ask for a take away and enjoy a mini picnic on the grassy clifftop.
- Mooch through the range of goodies in the gift shop, from pocket-money-priced souvenirs to do-it-yourself models and wartime poetry and recipe books
- Why not combine your visit with one of our special events? See our events page for further details. From open-air theatre and children’s workshops to military re-enactments and quiz trails, there is something for all the family
Newhaven Fort leaflet
Newhaven Fort 2013 - Leaflet (5880.98kb, Newhaven_Fort_leaflet_2013_print.pdf)
Dépliant pour fort de Newhaven
Newhaven Fort 2013 - Dépliant (5887.78kb, Newhaven_Fort_leaflet_2013_French_print.pdf)